28 March 2020 - Update
The Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) has now recommended that all dental practices implement Level 3 restrictions. This means that dental practitioners must limit treatment to urgent care, particularly limiting treatment which generates large quantities of aerosols. Because of this, we are now only seeing emergency patients by appointment only.
Urgent dental treatment includes:
- severe dental pain, usually affecting sleep
- abscess or infection within the mouth
- dental trauma from accidents causing teeth to be knocked out/ moved from their original position/ tooth fracture
- medically necessary dental treatment prior to medical/surgical procedures that cannot be delayed
If you have a dental emergency:
- please call us on (02) 9098 6990 or email us at email@example.com. If no one answers, please leave a message. All phone calls/emails will be monitored and replied to as soon as possible.
- as per Level 3 restrictions, please do not show up without an appointment.
- Our staff will assess you over the phone and determine if you should come in for a dental appointment.
- At that appointment, the dentist will determine if they are able to treat you or if we need to defer treatment.
Although the treatments we can provide have been restricted for the time being, please know that we are still here to help care for your oral health. If you have a dental issue and you are unsure if it is an emergency, please still call/ email/ contact us. Our phones and emails are continually monitored, and we will reply to you as soon as we can.
21 March 2020
We at Mascot Dental Clinic are closely monitoring the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and would like to provide you with an update in regards to the precautionary measures we are undertaking. The health, safety and well-being of our staff, patients and community is our top priority.
Mascot Dental Clinic is open and will continue to be open so long as there is no enforced lockdown. We understand that dental problems can occur regardless of the global situation and so we will be open for as long as possible. However, to remain in a position to help our patients through this challenging time, we are implementing significant steps to stay open. We ask that you be patient with us through these difficult times.
- We ask that if you have travelled overseas in the past 14 days, if you feel unwell or have had any contact with a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19 in the past 14 days, please call and reschedule your appointment. If you have any urgent dental problems, please call us on 9098 6990 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will attempt to stagger appointment times to minimize patient contact in the waiting room and to allow sufficient time between appointments to adequately clean the waiting area.
- We recommend that you attend alone or only bring minimal accompanying persons.
- On arrival and prior to leaving, please use the provided alcohol-based hand sanitiser and rub your hands for at least 20 seconds.
- We are a QIP Accredited Practice, which means that we already adhere to strict hand hygiene and infection control procedures. All dental instruments are either single-use, disinfected or sterilized by autoclave and surfaces are wiped using appropriate TGA-approved, hospital-grade disinfectants. We are now increasing our cleaning frequency in the waiting room and reception areas, with particular attention to all door handles, EFTPOS/HICAPS machines and other high traffic areas.
- On the advice from the Australian Dental Association, we will also undertake the following steps for routine dental treatment where appropriate:
- use rubber dam where possible to decrease possible exposure to infectious agents
- use high-speed evacuation for dental procedures that produce an aerosol
- mouth rinse with an anti-microbial solution such as hydrogen peroxide, chlorhexidine or essential oil rinse prior to dental treatment
We thank you for your continued support and understanding during this time. We are confident we have the appropriate processes and measures in place and will continue to monitor the situation and update you if there are any changes to our operations.
Dr Jess & the MDC Team