Veneers are a thin, tooth-coloured facings that are carefully created to cover natural teeth. They are widely used for chipped, discoloured, misshapen or misaligned teeth and even sometimes to close spaces.
Veneers can be made of porcelain or composite resin. Porcelain veneers require 2-3 visits. The first visit involves preparing the teeth by removing a thin layer of enamel from the front and sides of the tooth. An impression is then sent to the laboratory. For the best colour and shape match to adjacent teeth, patients may be urged to visit the ceramics laboratory to have the colour verified - this also gives the lab technician to understand your aesthetic needs. Temporary veneers may be fabricated for the period between preparation and insert. At the insert appointment, the veneers are tried in and if you and your dentist are both happy, they are then bonded.
Composite resin veneers are a cheaper alternative to porcelain veneers, and are usually done over 1-2 visits. It may involve removing a thin layer of enamel from the tooth surface and then bonding and shaping the composite resin to the tooth. Additional layers may be applied to build the veneer to the correct shape and length for your smile.
It is advisable to have an occlusal splint made after veneers in order to protect from breakage caused by grinding during sleep.
Whether it be combined with a smile makeover or on their own, facial injectables can soften wrinkles or plump up areas that have lost volume. Common areas that can benefit from these treatments include:
- Forehead creases
- Frown lines
- Crow’s feet
- Smile lines (Naso-labial folds)
- Marionette lines (Peri-oral folds)
Facial Injectables can also be used to control over-active muscles that cause:
- Gummy Smiles
- Teeth Grinding
Depending on the facial injectable and the area it is injected, results can last 3-9 months. Repeat procedures will be needed to maintain the effects.
While it may seem unusual that we offer this as part of our treatment planning procedure, there are actually several reason why your dentist at Mascot Dental Clinic may be the best person for administering facial injectables:
- We have more extensive knowledge of facial anatomy than most medical practitioners and their ancillary staff.
- We perform all injectable procedures ourselves - we do not delegate any of these delicate procedures to our staff.
- We analyse facial proportions, muscle movements and the position of lips and gums daily, and understand how these can affect the overall appearance of each individual.
- We are extremely familiar with injections, as we regularly administer local anaesthetic to these areas.
- We are discreet. No one would guess that you came to the dentist for a facial injectable procedure!
Click here to contact us if you have any questions regarding these treatments.